Thyroid gland or thyroid is large endocrine gland located in the neck that secretes hormones which are responsible for regulation of growth and regulation of the metabolism. If there is imbalance in these hormones, the body’s natural balance is negatively affected.
Due to the fact that symptoms of thyroid dysfunction are quite similar to symptoms of other health problems, many people neglect them or don’t get proper diagnosis for this medical condition. It is crucial to know and recognize some of the most common symptoms that indicate certain issue with this gland and treat the problem timely.
Some of the most common signs of thyroid dysfunction include:
- Muscle and joint ache
- Swelling and bloating in the face
- Anxiety and trembling – at many patients, excessive production of thyroid hormones causes accelerated metabolism which actually makes you irritated, nervous and shaky.
- Weight changes – hypothyroidism is abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland which results in weight gain, while hyperthyroidism is overactivity of the thyroid gland that lead to weight loss.
- Irregular menstrual cycle – at women, hypothyroidism causes long and painful menstruation, while hyperthyroidism causes reduction in the blood flow or complete absence of it.
- Changes in mental functions – fatigue and dizziness may be caused by reduced amount of thyroid hormones.
- Different reaction to outdoor temperatures – people who have certain issue with their thyroid often feel colder or hotter to the outside temperatures than other people.
- Hair loss – most people who are suffering from thyroid gland issues experience hair loss and weak and brittle hair.