Good and quality night`s sleep is extremely important for your overall health and plays an important role in our physical health.
While lack of sleep is harmful, excessive sleep also has negative impact on your overall health.
How Long Should You Sleep?
Adults should sleep about 8 hours during the night, but that is not adequate for all ages. For instance, children under 18 need to more sleep.
Below we are going to present you chart that shows the newest recommendations by the National Sleep Foundation. This information is based on numerous studies conducted by experts in physiology, sleep and anatomy, neurology, pediatrics, gynecology and gerontology:
Regardless of the fact that having 1 hour less or more sleep occasionally is not some serious issue, making this a habit may lead to severe health problems. These are the 7 reasons why you should pay attention to your sleeping habits:
- Back Pain
Pain in the back sometimes can be quite debilitating, and may leave you in bed and make you unable to move or stand up. Studies proved that excessive sleep makes you more prone to back pain as it significantly weakens the muscles on your back. Next time, instead of staying in bed, it is advisable to do low-intensity exercises and thus strengthen your back muscles.
Staying too long in bed may mix up your metabolism. In other words, instead of using energy you will store it. According to a recent study in which two groups of participants had similar exercise and diet regimens, group of participants who slept 10 hours during the night were more likely to become obese 6 years later, compared to those who slept 8 hours.
Depression has negative impact on sleep in 2 ways, manifested by oversleeping or insomnia. Even 15% of people who are suffering from depression are sleeping excessively. Additionally, oversleeping has negative impact on your mental health and hamper the recovery.
At many people, chronic excessive sleep causes unbearable headaches. Studies proved that this also causes damage on certain neurotransmitters, such as serotonin. Consequently, the person may suffer from poor quality sleep overnight and experience headaches during daytime.
Too little or too much sleep substantially may reduce your body’s ability of processing glucose, and over time this may lead to type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance. There is study that analyzed everyday habits of 276 participants in period of 6 years revealed that those who slept less or more than the recommended were had significantly higher chances to develop impaired tolerance to glucose and diabetes compared to those people who had normal sleeping habits.
- Heart Disease
In order to stay in shape and function properly, your heart needs both rest and exercise. Still, having too much of either of those may be really dangerous. Nurses’ Health Study examined the sleeping habits of 72,000 women and the results showed that women who slept about 11 hours every night were more likely to suffer from coronary heart disease in comparison to those that had 8 hours of sleep at night.
Despite the fact that this phenomenon is not fully examined, people that sleep 9 or more hours during night have higher chances to die as a result of a medical condition compared to those who sleep 8 hours.
How To Overcome Oversleeping
- Make a Sleep Schedule: it is advisable to make strict schedule that is compatible to your lifestyle. Make sure to unplug all devices at least 1 hour before going to sleep, meditate or try yoga, and also plan the time-sensitive activities so you could easily get out of bed in the morning.
- Shower: Take short and cold shower every time you feel sleepy. Remember that if you increase the heat, it will make you sleepier.
- Work out: Exercising right after you wake up in the morning will clear your mind, boost the energy levels and will prepare for the rest of the day.
- Drink water: In order to stay hydrated during the day drink a glass of lukewarm water right after you wake up. Moreover, every time feel sleepy simply drink up and thus increase your energy levels.
- 5. Maintain your motivation: Find some interesting activity and adhere to it. This activity will help you to stay motivated and in same time will help you avoid sleeping as an escape from you real